Mrs. Louisine Havemeyer, New York to 1917 
From 1917 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), given by Mrs. Louisine Havemeyer in 1917 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, pg. 16, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. See also, a letter from Mrs. Havemeyer in Envelope File.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Mrs. Louisine Havemeyer (C.L. Freer source) 1855-1929
Aesthetically conservative reviewers condemned Whistler's pastels for their lack of conventional "finish." The reviewer for the World, for example, concluded that Mr. Whistler is "too soon satisfied with mere intimations and suggestions; he holds his hand while completeness is yet afar off; his impressions are slight, or he indicates them too faintly, vaguely, and incoherently. How many of these pastels suffer from the vacant spaces 'to let' of plain untinctured brown paper, from indecision of line, from lack of foreground, from the absence, indeed, of industry and conscientious workmanship!"
Quotation from "Fine Arts: Mr. Whistler's 'Venice Pastels,'" World, February 2, 1881.
- Published References
- Daniel E. Sutherland. Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake. .
- Anton Sailer. James McNeill Whistler in der Freer Gallery of Art zu Washington. p. 8.
- , Robin Asleson, Lee Glazer, Lacey Taylor Jordan, John Siewert, Marc Simpson, Sylvia Yount. After Whistler: The Artist and His Influence on American Painting. Exh. cat. p. 34, fig. 23.
- Margaret F. MacDonald. Palaces in the Night: Whistler in Venice. Aldershot, Hampshire, England, 2001. p. 60, fig. 68.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 261, pl. 250.
- Margaret F. MacDonald. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours : A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, 1995. cat. 786, pp. 282-293.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
International Image Interoperability Framework
IIIF Manifest Data/Viewers