From 1917 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Pewabic Pottery, Detroit, in 1917 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See American Pottery List, R. 6538, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
Pewabic Pottery (C.L. Freer source)
Made from 1903 until 1965, the Pewabic pottery of Detroit was most noted for iridescent glazes. These colorful hues are created when metallic salts, such as copper oxides, are spread on the pottery before its last firing. Many well-known art-potters and glassmakers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries created iridescent glazes inspired by ceramic lusterwares from the Near East. The potters, then, shared some of the same sources of inspiration as artists like James McNeill Whistler, and Dwight Tryon.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum