Li Wenqing (late 19th-early 20th century), Shanghai, to 1917 
From 1917 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Li Wenqing, in New York, in 1917 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Kakemono and Makimono List, L. 1160, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. See also, Voucher No. 18, December 1916.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Li Wenqing (C.L. Freer source) ca. 1869-1931
Lu Meiniang (Eyebrow Maiden Lu) was a concubine of the Tang emperor who later became a Daoist immortal. Allegedly she was born with long, threadlike eyebrows--hence her name. With a sheer white robe and the gauze cap of a Confucian scholar, Lu is dressed in the attire common among Tang court ladies. The slender proportions of the figure and sharp angular brushstrokes of the drapery folds reflect the influence of late Northern Song figure paintings.
To learn more about this and similar objects, visit http://www.asia.si.edu/SongYuan/default.asp Song and Yuan Dynasty Painting and Calligraphy.
- Published References
- Thomas Lawton. "画中人 上海书画出版社." Chinese Figure Painting. Shanghai, China. .
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of Women in World History. 4 vols., Oxford and New York. .
- Song Dynasty Paintings Project. multi-volumed, . .
- Hai wai i chen [Chinese Art in Overseas Collections]. Taipei, 1985. vol. 1, no. 25.
- Suzuki Kei. Chugoku kaiga sogo zuroku [Comprehensive Illustrated Catalog of Chinese Painting]. 5 vols., Tokyo, 1982-1983. vol. 1: p. 250.
- Eli Lancman. Chinese Portraiture. Rutland, Vermont and Tokyo. pl. 23.
- Jacques Gernet. Daily Life in China on the Eve of the Mongol Invasion, 1250-1276. Daily Life Series; 7 London. pl. 6.
- William Cohn. Chinese Painting. London and New York. pl. 65.
- Kinjiro Harada. The Pageant of Chinese Painting. Tokyo. pl. 104.
- Osvald Siren. Chinese Paintings in American Collections. Annales du Musee Guimet. Bibliotheque d'art. Nouvelle serie. II Paris and Brussels, 1927-1928. pl. 94.
- Osvald Siren. A History of Early Chinese Painting. 2 vols., London. vol. 2, pl. 30.
- Osvald Siren. Chinese Painting: Leading Masters and Principles. 7 vols., New York and London, 1956-1958. p. 49, pl. 203.
- Agnes E. Meyer. The Charles L. Freer Collection. vol. 12, no. 2 Brooklyn, August 1927. p. 76.
- Thomas Lawton. Chinese Figure Painting. Exh. cat. Washington, 1973. cat. 45, pp. 178-181.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."