Wang Jiantang, Shanghai to 1916 
From 1916 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Wang Jiantang in 1916 
The Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Kakemono and Makimono List, L. 1098, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This object exhibits seals, colophons, or inscriptions that could provide additional information regarding the object’s history; see Curatorial Remarks in the object record for further details.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Wang Jiantang (C.L. Freer source) late 19th-early 20th century
- Published References
- Richard M. Barnhart. An Imaginary Exhibition of Chinese Paintings from the Freer Gallery. vol. 24, no. 3 Hong Kong, March 1993. p. 41, fig. 15.
- Craig Clunas, Julie Fry. Chinese Painting and Its Audiences. Bollingen Series XXXV, vol. 61 Princeton, New Jersey. p. 66, fig. 2.35.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."