Pewabic Pottery, Detroit, MI, to 1914 
From 1914 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Pewabic Pottery in 1914 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 Object file. Present location of voucher unknown. According to Curatorial Remark 3, David Park Curry, 1982, Exhibition Label, "Charles Lang Freer purchased this pottery piece directly from Mary Chase Perry Stratton [of Pewabic Pottery] in 1914. Her pottery studio was located in Detroit..."
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
Pewabic Pottery (C.L. Freer source)
The Pewabic Pottery was a ceramics workshop in Detroit established at the turn of the century. The primary aesthetic interest of its founder, Mary Chase Perry Stratton, was the art of glazing, or "painting with fire." Stratton's friend and patron Charles Lang Freer fostered her efforts by providing fragments of ancient Asian pots to emulate. Her mature works are clearly inspired by the surfaces and shapes of ceramics in Freer's collection, particularly the Islamic pottery known as Raqqa ware, with its distinctive iridescence. The surfaces also resonate with paintings in Freer's collection by James McNeill Whistler, Thomas Dewing, and Dwight Tryon.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum