Reichard and Company, New York 
William T. Evans (1843-1918), New York and New Jersey, purchased from Gustav Reichard, to 1913 
From 1913 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased at the William T. Evans sale, American Art Association, March 31 and April 1-2, 1913, no. 39 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Provenance Remark 1 in the object record, as well as Curatorial Remark 3, Kate Theimer, April 28, 1994, in the object record. See also, Dana H. Carroll and William Thomas Evans, New York, Illustrated Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings Formed by the Widely Known Amateur William T. Evans, sale cat. (New York, NY: American Art Association, March 31-April 1 and 2, 1913), no. 39.
 See note 1.
 See note 1. See also, List of American Paintings Other than by Whistler, A, pg. 10, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Reichard and Company
William T. Evans American, born Ireland, 1843-1918
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
American Art Association (C.L. Freer source) established 1883
- Published References
- William T. Evans, Dana H. Carroll. Illustrated Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings Formed by the Widely Known Amateur William T. Evans: Paintings Described by D.H. Carroll. New York, March 31 - April 2, 1913. cat. 39.
- Wolfgang Born. American Landscape Painting: An Interpretation. New Haven. fig. 107.
- Burns A. Stubbs. Paintings, Pastels, Drawings, Prints, and Copper Plates by and Attributed to American and European Artists, Together with a List of Original Whistleriana, in the Freer Gallery of Art. vol. 1, no. 2, 2nd edition. Washington, 1967. pl. 4.
- Lloyd Goodrich, John Wesley Beatty. Winslow Homer. New York. p. 115.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage conditions apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."