N. E. Montross, 1849-1932, New York, purchased from the artist 
From at least 1905 to 1913
William T. Evans (1843-1918), New York and New Jersey, purchased from Montross Galleries, from at least 1905 
From 1913 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased at the William T. Evans sale, American Art Association, March 31 and April 1-2, 1913, no. 141 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Curatorial Remark 3, Linda Merrill, March 29, 1993, in the object record.
 See note 1. See also, Dana H. Carroll and William Thomas Evans, New York, Illustrated Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings Formed by the Widely Known Amateur William T. Evans, sale cat. (New York, NY: American Art Association, March 31-April 1 and 2, 1913), no. 141.
 See notes 1 and 2. See also, List of American Paintings Other than by Whistler, A, pg. 10, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
William T. Evans American, born Ireland, 1843 - 1918
N. E. Montross 1849 - 1932
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
American Art Association (C.L. Freer source) established 1883
- Published References
- William T. Evans Dana H. Carroll. Illustrated Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings Formed by the Widely Known Amateur William T. Evans: Paintings Described by D.H. Carroll. New York, March 31 - April 2, 1913. cat. 141.
- Cover Image. vol. 6, no. 1, Fall 2006. front cover.
- Susan Hobbs. Thomas Dewing in Cornish, 1885-1905. vol. XVII, no. 2 New York, Spring 1985. p. 28, fig. 26.
- , Nina Lubbren, Kathleen Pyne, Margaret Werth. Impressionist Giverny: A Colony of Artists, 1885-1915. Exh. cat. Chicago and Giverny. p. 52, pl. 6.
- William H. Truettner. William T. Evans, Collector of American Paintings. vol. 3, no. 2 New York, Fall 1971. p. 74.
- Asma Naeem. Out of Earshot: Sound, Technology, and Power in American Art, 1860-1900. Oakland, CA. p. 130, fig. 52.
- Susan Hobbs. The Art of Thomas Wilmer Dewing: Beauty Reconfigured. Exh. cat. Washington, 1996. p. 144, fig. 72.
- Daniell Cornell. Masterworks of American Paintings at the De Young. San Francisco, October 2005. p. 250.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum