William T. Evans (1843-1918), New York and New Jersey, purchased through N.E. Montross, New York, to 1913 
From 1913 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased at the sale of the William T. Evans Collection, American Art Association, Plaza Hotel, New York, March 31 and April 1-2, 1913 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Curatorial Remark 2, Linda Merrill, May 1989, in the object record. See also, American Paintings Other than by Whistler List, A, pg. 10, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1. See also, Curatorial Remark 1 in the object record.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
William T. Evans American, born Ireland, 1843-1918
N.E. Montross 1849-1932
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
American Art Association (C.L. Freer source) established 1883
- Published References
- William T. Evans, Dana H. Carroll. Illustrated Catalogue of the Collection of American Paintings Formed by the Widely Known Amateur William T. Evans: Paintings Described by D.H. Carroll. New York, March 31 - April 2, 1913. cat. 113.
- Charles Henry Caffin. The Art of Dwight W. Tryon: An Appreciation. New York. p. 56.
- William H. Truettner. William T. Evans, Collector of American Paintings. vol. 3, no. 2 New York, Fall 1971. p. 78.
- Linda Merrill. An Ideal Country: Paintings by Dwight William Tryon in the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and Hanover and London, 1990. cat. 38, pp. 150-151.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage conditions apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."