- Provenance research underway.
The artist Ogata Kenzan is best known for his ceramic works, but his artistic interests also included painting and calligraphy. This folding fan was painted by Kenzan with a basket of balloon flowers on a gold-leafed background. Kenzan's inscription and red seal mark appear at the right. The back of the fan is inscribed with a poem.
- Published References
- Zaigai hiho [(Japanese Paintings in Western Collections]. 3 vols., Tokyo. vol. 1: pt. II, p. 82, vol. 1, pt. I, pl. 62.
- Dr. John Alexander Pope, Thomas Lawton, Harold P. Stern. The Freer Gallery of Art. 2 vols., Washington and Tokyo, 1971-1972. cat. 51, vol. 2: p. 168.
- Kenzan no kaiga [The paintings of Kenzan (1663-1743)]. Exh. cat. Tokyo, October 29 - November 28, 1982. p. 36.
- Masterpieces of Chinese and Japanese Art: Freer Gallery of Art handbook. Washington, 1976. p. 133.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."