Giovanni Dattari (circa 1858-1923), Cairo, Egypt, to 1909 
From 1909 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Giovanni Dattari in 1909 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See S.I. 189, Miscellaneous List, Egyptian Glass, pgs. 1 and 20, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This piece is part of a collection of glass that was purchased en bloc and includes 1,388 specimens (for further purchase information, see the folder for F1909.332).
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Giovanni Dattari (C.L. Freer source) 1858-1923
Amphora. Sand core vessel with dragged thread decoration. Broken and repaired. A hole in one side.
The method of forming glass vessels on a core of sand and clay was introduced to Egypt from neighboring Syria early in the New Kingdom (ca. 15391075 B.C.E.). Precisely when and where the twenty examples housed in the Freer Gallery of Art were made is unknown. Comparison with vessels and fragments excavated from royal glass workshops, however, suggests that most of the Freer examples were made during the reigns of the Dynasty 18 pharaohs Amenhotep III (ca. 13901353 B.C.E.) and Amenhotep IV, later known as Akhenaten (ca. 13531335 B.C.E.). They may likewise be the products of royal workshops.
- Published References
- John D. Cooney. Catalogue of Egyptian Antiquities in the British Museum. 7 vols., London, 1968-1987. vol. 4.
- Richard Ettinghausen. Ancient Glass in the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington, 1962. p. 11, fig. 9.
- Ann C. Gunter. A Collector's Journey: Charles Lang Freer and Egypt. Washington and London, 2002. p. 20, fig. 1.4.
- Ideals of Beauty: Asian and American Art in the Freer and Sackler Galleries. Thames and Hudson World of Art London and Washington, 2010. pp. 40-41.
- Thomas Lawton, Linda Merrill. Freer: a legacy of art. Washington and New York, 1993. p. 84, fig. 57.
- Birgit Schlick-Nolte. Die Glasgefasse im alten Agypten. Munchner agyptologische Studien, 14 Berlin. p. 97, pl. 10, fig. 1.
- Susan H. Auth. Ancient Egyptian Glass from the Dattari Collection. vol. 118, no. 258 London, August 1983. pp. 160-163, fig. 1.
- Arielle P. Kozloff, Betsy Morrell Bryan, Lawrence Michael Berman, Elizabeth Delange. Egypt's Dazzling Sun: Amenhotep III and His World. Exh. cat. Bloomington, IN and Cleveland, July 1, 1992 - May 31, 1993. pp. 376-377, 379-380, 382, fig. 12.7.
- Collection Area(s)
- Ancient Egyptian Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."