Ali Arabi, Giza, Egypt, to 1909 
From 1909 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Ali Arabi in 1909 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Miscellaneous List, Biblical Mss. section, S.I. 1486-B, pg. 13, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Ali Arabi (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Folio II from a Ms. of the Gospels:
Recto: the descent from the Cross; outline drawing with traces of color on a gold ground (much worn).
Verso: Portrait of St. John; traces of color on a gold ground (worn). Text in red ink: index to Gospel.
- Published References
- Walter Dennison Charles Rufus Morey. Studies in East Christian and Roman Art. University of Michigan Humanistic Series, 12 New York. .
- Gary Vikan. Byzantine Art as a Mirror of its Public. vol. 118, no. 283 London, August 1983. pp. 164-167, fig. 2.
- Kenneth W. Clark. A Descriptive Catalogue of Greek New Testament Manuscripts in America. Chicago. pp. 208-209.
- Seymour de Ricci W. J. Wilson. Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada. 3 vols., New York, 1935-1940. cat. 11, p. 468.
- Collection Area(s)
- Biblical Manuscripts
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum