Loaned by Albert Moore in 1892 to Goupil Gallery, London for exhibition "Nocturnes, Marines and Chevalet Pieces." 
J. Martin White, to 1908 
From 1908 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from J. Martin White in August 1908 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Purchases Since Making up the Smithsonian Inventory, pg. 9, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
 See Freer|Sackler exhibition history data, and Curatorial Remarks.
- Previous Owner(s)
J. Martin White (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
- Published References
- Andrew McLaren Young, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer. The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler. Studies in British Art 2 vols. New Haven, 1980. .
- Kandinsky and the Harmony of Silence: Painting with White Border. Washington, D.C. p. 33, fig. 17.
- Charles Henry Caffin. The Art of James McNeill Whistler: Lecture at the Detroit Museum of Art. Detroit, Friday, April 23, 1909. p. 39.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 125, pl. 29.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum