Unknown owners, Seoul 
From 1884-1898 to 1907
Dr. Horace N. Allen (1858-1932), Toledo, Ohio, purchased from unknown owners, in Seoul, during 1884-1898 
From 1907 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Dr. Horace N. Allen in 1907 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 Horace N. Allen acquired his collection in Seoul between 1884 and 1898. See Horace Allen, Copy of a Certified Catalogue of a Collection of Ancient Korean Pottery: purchased and owned by Horace Newton Allen (Nak Tong [Korea]: Seoul Press, 1901), pg. 7.
 See Original Pottery List, L. 1608, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. See also, Pamphlets S.I. 738 and S.I. 739 for Allen Correspondence, as well as Pamphlet S.I. 740, Original Allen Catalogue, No. 6, pg. 10.
 See note 2.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Dr. Horace N. Allen (C.L. Freer source) 1858-1932
This melon-shaped vase was excavated from a Koryo dynasty (918-1372) royal tomb and was acquired in Korea in the late nineteenth century by its previous owner. Chinese porcelain with pale blue (qinqbai) glaze was widely exported not only to Korea but also to Japan, Southeast Asia, and West Asia.
- Published References
- Oriental Ceramics: The World's Great Collections. 12 vols., Tokyo. vol. 10, pl. 250.
- Sigisbert Chrétien Bosch Reitz. Catalogue of an Exhibition of Early Chinese Pottery and Sculpture. Exh. cat. New York. fig. 300.
- Korean Art in the Freer and Sackler Galleries. Washington. no. 5.3, p. 71.
- Garrett Chatfield Pier. Some Examples of Sung Pottery Recently on Exhibition in New York. vol. 2, no. 3 New York, April 1914. p. 233, fig. 12.
- Alice Cooney Frelinghuysen, Martin Eidelberg, Adrienne Spinozzi. American Art Pottery: The Robert A. Ellison Jr. Collection. New York, New York. p. 310, fig. 345.
- Collection Area(s)
- Chinese Art
- SI Usage Statement
Usage conditions apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."