Colonel Henry Bathurst Hanna (1839-1914), London, to 1907 
From 1907 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Colonel Henry Bathurst Hanna in 1907 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 Purchased with the Hanna Collection in 1907. See Original Catalogue of the Hanna Sale: Manuscripts I, S.I. 1583, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. See also "Miscellaneous" volume of Freer House Catalogue, pgs. 167-183.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Colonel Henry Bathurst Hanna (C.L. Freer source) 1839-1914
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
- Published References
- Grain Vapor Ray: Textures of the Anthropocene. .
- John Seyller. Workshop and Patron in Mughal India: The Freer Ramayana and Other Illustrated Manuscripts of 'Abd al-Rahim. Supplementum 42, Zurich and Washington. .
- P. Banerjee. Rama in Indian Literature, Art and Thought. 2 vols., Delhi. vol. 2: fig. 12.
- Milo Cleveland Beach. The Adventures of Rama: with Illustrations from a Sixteenth-Century Mughal Manuscript. Washington, 1983. .
- Barbara Schmitz. The Imperial Image: Paintings for the Mughal Court. vol. 28, no. 1, Spring 1982. fig. 2.
- Anis Farooqi. Art of India and Persia. New Delhi. pls. 52, 53.
- Richard Ettinghausen. Paintings of the Sultans and Emperors of India in American Collections. Lalit Kala Series of Indian Art New Delhi. pls. 3-4.
- Vishakha Nirubhai Desai. Connoisseur's Delights: Early "Rasikapriya" Paintings of India. 2 vols. Ann Arbor. pl. 36.
- V. A. Smith. Colonel H.B. Hanna's Collection of Indo-Persian Pictures and Manuscripts. Bombay, June 1910. .
- Catalogue of Indo - Persian Pictures and Manuscripts: Principally of the Fifteenth, Sixteenth, and Seventeenth Centuries by Native Artists, Collected by Colonel H.B. Hanna. Exh. cat. London, May 1890. .
- Sir Thomas W. Arnold. The Library of A. Chester Beatty: A Catalogue of the Indian Miniatures. 3 vols. London. p. 27.
- Veronica Ions. Indian Mythology. London. p. 53.
- Milo Cleveland Beach. The Imperial Image: Paintings for the Mughal Court. Exh. cat. Washington, 1981. cat. 15, pp.62-3,66-7,135.
- Charles Le Brun, Alain Danielou. Le Ramayana. Mystiques et Religions Paris. pp. 80-81.
- Mario Bussagli. Indian Miniatures. London and New York. pp. 102-103, 105-106, 110, pls. 45-49.
- Thomas Lawton, Linda Merrill. Freer: a legacy of art. Washington and New York, 1993. pp. 126-127, fig. 87.
- Milo Cleveland Beach. Colonel Hanna's Indian Paintings. vol. 118, no. 258 London, August 1983. pp. 154-159, figs. 4, 5.
- Peoples and Places of the Past: The National Geographic Illustrated Cultural Atlas of the Ancient World. Washington. p. 207.
- Sheila Blair, Jonathan M. Bloom. The Art and Architecture of Islam, 1250-1800. Yale University Press Pelican History of Art London. pp. 293-294, fig. 370.
- Edwards Park. Treasures from the Smithsonian Institution., 1st ed. Washington and New York. p. 350.
- Collection Area(s)
- South Asian and Himalayan Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."