Unidentified owner, Egypt, to 1907 
From 1907 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased in Egypt from an unidentified owner in 1907 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Pottery List, L. 1833, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Shallow faience bowl with an intense blue glaze. The flat rim of the bowl is painted black. The bowl is painted on the inside surface with figures outlined in black. In the center is a circle, divided into four sections; two are painted black, the other two left unpainted. Four lotus flowers project from the central motif. The lotus flowers each have three petals and look more like tridents than flowers. The four are separated by four tilapia fish, whose scales are indicated by a cross-hatch pattern and whose fins are rendered by a series of short lines radiating out from the top of each fish. The lotus flowers and the fish are very crudely painted and do not show any of the usual skilled freehand and flowing design typical of this type of faience bowl.
- Published References
- Ann C. Gunter. A Collector's Journey: Charles Lang Freer and Egypt. Washington and London, 2002. p. 117, fig. 4.21.
- Collection Area(s)
- Ancient Egyptian Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage conditions apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."