N.E. Montross (1849-1932), New York, NY, to 1904 
From 1904 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from N.E. Montross in 1904 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 Purchased by Charles Lang Freer from N. E. Montross, New York, on April 2, 1904, as "The Big Trees" (see Curatorial Remark 6, Linda Merrill, May 1989, in the object record). See also, Voucher for May 1906, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
N. E. Montross (C.L. Freer source) 1849 - 1932
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
- Published References
- Henry C. White Houghton Mifflin Co. The Life and Art of Dwight William Tryon. Boston and New York, 1930. after index.
- Country Beautiful Foundation, Eric F. Goldman, Tracy Atkinson. The Beauty of America in Great American Art: With Selections from the Writings of Renowned American Authors. Waukesha, WI. p. 51.
- Charles Henry Caffin. The Art of Dwight W. Tryon: An Appreciation. New York. p. 71.
- Linda Merrill. An Ideal Country: Paintings by Dwight William Tryon in the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and Hanover and London, 1990. cat. 25, pp. 132-135.
- Leila Mechlin. The Freer Collection of Art: Mr. Charles L. Freer's Gift to the Nation, to be Installed at Washington. vol. 73, no. 3 New York, January 1907. p. 370.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum