Ali Arabi, Giza, Egypt, to 1906 
From 1906 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Ali Arabi in Giza, Egypt, on December 19, 1906 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Miscellaneous List, Biblical Mss. Section, S.I. 1466, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Ali Arabi (C.L. Freer source) ca. 1840 - 1932
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Large Slavonic sloping uncial writing in medium brown ink, numbers and titles in red; 24 lines to the page; 7 leaves, fragmentary.
For a full description of the manuscript, see Sanders, Henry A.: Old Testament Manuscripts in the Freer Collection, Part II (University of Michigan Humanistic Series, volume VIII).
Charles Lang Freer purchased this codex in 1906, along with the manuscript of Deuteronomy and Joshua (F1906.272). The Psalms manuscript is almost wholly lacking in punctuation, but the nomina sacra (sacred names) are regularly abbreviated, as was customary in Jewish and Early Christian manuscripts. At some point the last part, Psalm 142:8 to Psalm 151, was lost and subsequently, perhaps in the eighth century, replaced with part of another manuscript.
- Published References
- George R. Swain. Bound volume of photographs of the Washington Manuscript of the Psalms in the Freer Collection. Ann Arbor. .
- unknown title. Ann Arbor, November 1918. opp. p. 96.
- Henry Arthur Sanders. The Freer Psalter. vol. 33, no. 5 Chicago, May 1909. opp. p. 343.
- Caspar Rene Gregory. Das Freer Logion. Gregory, C.R. Versuche und entwurfe. 1 Leipzig. pl. 3.
- A Facsimile of the Washington Manuscript of the Psalms. Ann Arbor. .
- Seymour de Ricci, W. J. Wilson. Census of Medieval and Renaissance Manuscripts in the United States and Canada. 3 vols., New York, 1935-1940. cat. 2, vol. 1: p. 465.
- Frederic G. Kenyon. Recent Development in the Textual Criticism of the Greek Bible. London. pp. 26, 93, 111.
- Henry Arthur Sanders. New Manuscripts of the Bible from Egypt. 2nd series, vol. 12, no. 1 Boston, January - March, 1908. p. 51, fig. 1.
- Dr. Michelle Brown. In The Beginning: Bibles Before the Year 1000. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 19, pp. 132, 260.
- Collection Area(s)
- Biblical Manuscripts
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."