From 1890 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from the artist in 1890 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Etchings, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. Also, according to Kenneth Myers, label text for "Whistler's Greatest Etchings: The 1889 Amsterdam Set," Freer Gallery of Art, Smithsonian Institution, June 28, 2003 - February 1, 2004, this object was "purchased from Whistler, London, March 4, 1890." Also, according to Curatorial Remark 1, G.E. Guest, 1921, in the object record: "Probably purchased from Mr. Whistler. A list of ten etchings...appears among a package of papers labelled: Invoices prior to 1893. This etching is one of that number. It is given a 1906 registration number because it was included in the inventory of that year."
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
James McNeill Whistler (C.L. Freer source) 1834-1903
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Whistler etchings are identified by "G" numbers as assigned in "James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonne," by Margaret F. McDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock (University of Glasgow, 2012), http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk. This print is G457 state 1 of 6.
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, Joanna Meacock. James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonée., 2012. .
- Howard Mansfield. A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler. Chicago, 1909. .
- Katharine Lochnan. The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler. Exh. cat. New Haven and London, 1984. .
- Edward G. Kennedy. The Etched Work of Whistler: Illustrated by Reproductions in Collotype of the Different States of the Plates. 4 vols., New York, 1910. .
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage conditions apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."