M. Knoedler & Co., London, Paris, and New York, NY, to 1906 
From 1906 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from M. Knoedler & Co. in 1906 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Drawings, pg. 1, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
M. Knoedler & Co. (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
This undated drawing was probably completed shortly after Whistler's arrival in Paris. Whistler's straw hat hangs from the wall. The book on the floor refers to the eighteenth-century Swiss artist Henry Fuseli (1741-1825).
- Published References
- Daniel E. Sutherland. Whistler: A Life for Art's Sake. .
- Margaret F. MacDonald. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours : A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, 1995. .
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. pp. 13, 123, 210, pl. 147.
- Katharine Lochnan. The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler. Exh. cat. New Haven and London, 1984. p. 19.
- Linda Merrill. A Pot of Paint: Aesthetics on Trial in Whistler v. Ruskin. Washington and London. p. 21, fig. 8.
- Nancy Dorfman Pressly. Whistler in America: An Album of Early Drawings. vol. 5 New York, 1972. p. 146, fig. 33.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler: Uneasy Pieces. Richmond and New York, 2004. p. 223, fig. 6.3.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum