P. & D. Colnaghi & Co., London, purchased at a sale at Hotel Drouot, Paris, June 7, 1905 
From 1905 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from P. & D. Colnaghi & Co. in the summer of 1905 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 According to Curatorial Remark 3 in the object record, a note in Mr. Freer's handwriting, in pencil on the back of the object, states: "From the sale at the Hotel Drouot, June 7/05. Deprez bo't for me." See also, List of Whistler Reserved Objects Transferred to Smithsonian Institution, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This object was kept in the Reserved section until January of 1921, when it was transferred to the Smithsonian Institution and given a registration number for that year. Later, the registration number was changed to correspond with the year of purchase.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
P. & D. Colnaghi (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
Whistler etchings are identified by "G" numbers as assigned in "James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonne," by Margaret F. McDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock (University of Glasgow, 2012), http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk. This print is G236 state 1 of 2.
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, Joanna Meacock. James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonée., 2012. .
- Howard Mansfield. A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler. Chicago, 1909. .
- Katharine Lochnan. The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler. Exh. cat. New Haven and London, 1984. .
- Edward G. Kennedy. The Etched Work of Whistler: Illustrated by Reproductions in Collotype of the Different States of the Plates. 4 vols., New York, 1910. .
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum