Thomas Robert Way (1861-1913), London, to 1905 
From 1905 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Thomas Robert Way in 1905 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 According to Curatorial Remark 1 in the object record. See also, Whistler Reserved List, R. 5826, as well as Original Whistler List of Paintings, etc., Transferred to Smithsonian Institution, January 3, 1921, pg. 2, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1. According to Curatorial Remark 3, G.D. Guest, 1927, the registration number for this object was changed to correspond with the year of purchase.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Thomas Robert Way (C.L. Freer source) 1861-1913
- Published References
- Untitled. Exh. cat. London. .
- Margaret F. MacDonald. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours : A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, 1995. .
- Burns A. Stubbs. James McNeill Whistler: A Biographical Outline Illustrated from the Collections of the Freer Gallery of Art. vol. 1, no. 4 Washington, 1950. pl. 1.
- Freer Gallery of Art, Burns A. Stubbs, Smithsonian Institution. Paintings, pastels, drawings, prints, and copper plates by and attributed to American and European artists, together with a list of original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art. Occasional Papers Series 1, Washington, D.C. p. 17.
- John Sandberg. Whistler's Early Work in America, 1834-1855. Art Quarterly 29, Detroit. pp. 58-59.
- unknown article. p. 97.
- Nancy Dorfman Pressly. Whistler in America: An Album of Early Drawings. vol. 5 New York, 1972. p. 150.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 164, pl. 74.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum