Probably from 1905 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from an unidentified source, probably in 1905 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Whistler Reserved List R. 5824, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. The Accession File, Collections Management office, notes that there is no purchase information for this object.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours : A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, 1995. .
- Burns A. Stubbs Freer Gallery of Art. Paintings, pastels, drawings, prints, and copper plates by and attributed to American and European artists, together with a list of original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art. Occasional Papers Series 1, Washington, D.C. p. 16.
- Robin Spencer. James McNeill Whistler. British Artists. p. 23.
- Thomas Robert Way G. R. Dennis. The Art of James McNeill Whistler: An Appreciation by T.R. Way and G.R. Dennis. London, 1903. pp. 95-96, pl. 96.
- unknown article. p. 97.
- John Charles Van Dyke. American painting and its tradition, as represented by Inness, Wyant, Martin, Homer, La Farge, Whistler, Chase, Alexander, Sargent. New York. p. 154.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 166, pl. 77.
- John Ross Key. Recollections of Whistler while in the office of the United States Coast Survey. New York. p. 929.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum