Bunkio Matsuki (1867-1940), Boston, to 1905 
From 1905 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Bunkio Matsuki in 1905 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 Undated folder sheet note. See Original Kakemono List, S.I. 72, pg. 141, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Bunkio Matsuki (C.L. Freer source) 1867-1940
- Published References
- Chinese Paintings from Japanese Collections. Los Angeles. .
- Sherman Lee. The Freer's Studies in Connoisseurship (Review): Museum News. vol. 44, no. 1 New York, Spring 1984. pp. 67-68, fig. 5.
- Yoshiaki Shimizu. An Individual Taste for Japanese Painting. vol. 118, no. 258 London, August 1983. pp. 136-149, fig. 4.
- Paths to Perfection, Buddhist Art at the Freer/Sackler. Washington. pp. 188-189.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."