Rosalind Birnie-Philip (1873-1958), London, to 1905 
From 1905 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Rosalind Birnie-Philip in 1905 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Lithographs, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This object was received from Miss Birnie-Phillip on December 31, 1903, and paid for in June 1905 (see Curatorial Remark 1 in the object record).
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
Rosalind Birnie-Philip (C.L. Freer source) 1873 - 1958
Whistler lithographs are identified by "C." numbers as described in The Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler (Chicago: The Art Institute of Chicago, 1998). This print is C.164, second state, single impression.
- Published References
- The Lithographs of James McNeill Whistler. 2 vol., Chicago and New York, 1998. pp. 438-443.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum