John James Cowan (1846-1936), Edinburgh, Scotland, to 1904 
From 1904 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from John James Cowan, through William Marchant and Co, London, in June 1904 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Paintings, pg. 18, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
John James Cowan (C.L. Freer source) 1846 - 1936
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours : A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, 1995. .
- Charles De Kay. Whistler: the head of the Impressionists. Art Review New York. p. 1.
- Oswald Sickert. The oil paintings of Whistler. vol. 30, no. 127. London, October 15, 1903. p. 4.
- Unknown title. vol. 21, no. 81. New York, November 1903. p. 4.
- Burns A. Stubbs Freer Gallery of Art. Paintings, pastels, drawings, prints, and copper plates by and attributed to American and European artists, together with a list of original Whistleriana in the Freer Gallery of Art. Occasional Papers Series 1, Washington, D.C. p. 19.
- Thomas Robert Way G. R. Dennis. The Art of James McNeill Whistler: An Appreciation by T.R. Way and G.R. Dennis. London, 1903. p. 98.
- Mortimer Menpes. Whistler As I Knew Him. London. p. 112.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 193, pl. 120.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum