La Societe des Beaux-Arts, Glasgow , to 1904 
From 1904 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from La Societe des Beaux-Arts in 1904 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Paintings, pg. 27, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
La Societe des Beaux-Arts (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
This drawing, which depicts the Greco-Roman goddess of love & beauty, was exhibited in Whistler's time as The Birth of Venus and Venus Rising from the Sea. The pose and proportions suggest Whistler's interest in classical sculpture, and the use of drapery to frame the model's head also occurs in Harmony in Blue and Gold: The Little Blue Girl (F1903.89).
- Published References
- Denys Sutton. James McNeill Whistler: Paintings, Etchings, Pastels & Watercolours. London, 1966. pl. 118.
- Margaret F. MacDonald. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours : A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, 1995. .
- Burns A. Stubbs. James McNeill Whistler: A Biographical Outline Illustrated from the Collections of the Freer Gallery of Art. vol. 1, no. 4 Washington, 1950. pl. 18.
- Oswald Sickert. The oil paintings of Whistler. vol. 30, no. 127. London, October 15, 1903. p. 15.
- Charles Henry Caffin. The Art of James McNeill Whistler: Lecture at the Detroit Museum of Art. Detroit, Friday, April 23, 1909. p. 34.
- Elisabeth Luther Cary. The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study., First edition. New York, 1907. cat. 263, p. 197.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 278, pl. 281.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum