P. & D. Colnaghi & Co., London, to 1904 
From 1904 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from P. & D. Colnaghi & Co. in 1904 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Paintings, pg. 26, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
P. & D. Colnaghi (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
This vivid pastel is a preliminary study for a two-panel japonesque screen that Whistler painted in 1872 for his patron Frederick R. Leyland (1831-1892).
The only screen that Whistler ever painted, Blue and Silver: Screen, with Old Battersea Bridge is now in the Hunterian Art Gallery, Glasgow, Scotland. The view is towards London, with the Chelsea clock-tower behind the bridge to the left.
- Published References
- Robert H. Getscher. Whistler and Venice. Ann Arbor. .
- Margaret F. MacDonald. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours : A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, 1995. .
- The signature of James McNeill Whistler. vol. 15, no. 4. New York, 1962-1963. p. 43.
- Michael Komanecky. The Folding Image: Screens by Western Artists of the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries. Exh. cat. New Haven, 1984. p. 63, fig. 60.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 246, pl. 220.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum