Mrs. Emma W. Palmer, Stonington, CT, to 1904 
From 1904 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Mrs. Emma W. Palmer in 1904 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Whistler Reserved List, pg. 1, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Emma W. Potter (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
James McNeill Whistler is the boy standing on the right.
- Published References
- Joseph Pennell. The Triumph of Whistler. Bookman 43, London. p. 21.
- Albert Gallatin. The Portraits and Caricatures of James McNeill Whistler: An Iconography, with twenty examples, ten hitherto unpublished. London and New York. no. 107, p. 35.
- Albert Gallatin. Portraits of Whistler: A Critical Study and an Iconography. New York. no. 96, p. 46.
- Alfred Janson Bloor. The Beginnings of James McNeill Whistler. vol. 48, no. 2., February 1906. p. 129.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 164, fig. 73.1.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum