A sub-temple of Myoshinji, Kyoto 
Yamanaka & Company, to 1904 
From 1904 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Yamanaka & Company in 1904 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 The Envelope File contained the following: "These screens (F1904.354-355) came from a sub-temple of Myoshinji, Kyoto" (see Curatorial Remark 5, H.E. Buckman, 1964, in the object record).
 Undated folder sheet note. See Original Screen List, pg. 28, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. The majority of Charles Lang Freer’s purchases from Yamanaka & Company were made at its New York branch. Yamanaka & Company maintained branch offices, at various times, in Boston, Chicago, London, Peking, Shanghai, Osaka, Nara, and Kyoto. During the summer, the company also maintained seasonal locations in Newport, Bar Harbor, and Atlantic City.
 See note 2.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Yamanaka and Co. (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
- Published References
- Zaigai hiho (Japanese Paintings in Western Collections). 3 vols., Tokyo. p. 20.
- Catalogue of the Inaugural Exhibition, June 6-September 20, 1916. Exh. cat. Cleveland, June 6 - September 20, 1916. p. 299.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum