Bunshichi Kobayashi (circa 1861-1923), Boston, San Francisco, Tokyo, and Yokohama, to 1904 
From 1904 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Bunshichi Kobayashi, in Detroit, in 1904 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Screen List, L. 96, pg. 27, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
Bunshichi Kobayashi (C.L. Freer source) circa 1861 - 1923
- Published References
- Hiromichi Shugio. Japanese art folio. Tokyo, 1898-1901. pl. 24.
- Ernest Francisco Fenollosa. Catalogue of the Exhibition of Paintings of Hokusai: Held at the Japan Fine Art Association, Uyeno Park, Tókio, from 13th to 30th January, 1900. Exh. cat. Tokyo, January 13 - 30, 1900. no. 167 A, B, C.
- Hokusai nikuhitsuga taisei (Compilation of paintings by Hokusai). Tokyo. nos. 78-79.
- Harold P. Stern Narasaki Muneshige. Ukiyo-e shuka. vol. 16, Tokyo. nos. 131-142.
- Beyond Golden Clouds: Japanese Screens from The Art Institute of Chicago and the Saint Louis Art Museum. Exh. cat. Chicago and Saint Louis. pp. 18-19, 26-27, fig. 8a-b.
- unknown title., no. 86. Ra'anana. p. 25.
- Julia Meech. The Early Years of Japanese Print Collecting in North America. no. 25. pp. 26-27, fig. 12.
- Ann Yonemura et al. Hokusai: Volume Two. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 89, p. 33, 78.
- Harold P. Stern. Hokusai: Paintings and Drawings in the Freer Gallery of Art. Exh. cat. Washington. cat. 31-32, p. 34-35.
- Alma Ruiz Henri Focillon. Poetics of the Handmade: Exhibition presented at the Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, 22 April-13 August 2007. Exh. cat. Los Angeles. p. 36.
- Ann Yonemura. Hokusai: Volume One. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 49, p. 67-71.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum