Collection of Mr. Homma 
Bunshichi Kobayashi (circa 1861-1923), Boston, San Francisco, Tokyo, and Yokohama, to 1904 
From 1904 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Bunshichi Kobayashi in Detroit 1904 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 According to Curatorial Remark 3, citing an undated note from the Original Kakemono List. This probably refers to the collection of Kosa Homna (1842-1909) of Japan.
 Undated folder sheet note. See Original Kakemono List, pg. 128, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 2.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Honma Kosa 1842 - 1909
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
Bunshichi Kobayashi (C.L. Freer source) circa 1861 - 1923
- Published References
- Hiromichi Shugio. Japanese art folio. Tokyo, 1898-1901. pl. 25.
- Hokusai nikuhitsuga taisei (Compilation of paintings by Hokusai). Tokyo. no. 111.
- Harold P. Stern Narasaki Muneshige. Ukiyo-e shuka. vol. 16, Tokyo. no. 111.
- Ernest Francisco Fenollosa. Catalogue of the Exhibition of Paintings of Hokusai: Held at the Japan Fine Art Association, Uyeno Park, Tókio, from 13th to 30th January, 1900. Exh. cat. Tokyo, January 13 - 30, 1900. cat. 56.
- Ann Yonemura. Hokusai: Volume One. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 9, p. 14-15.
- Ann Yonemura et al. Hokusai: Volume Two. Exh. cat. Washington, 2006. cat. 48, p. 31, 62.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum