From 1899 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from the artist in 1899 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Paintings, pg. 2, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. Purchased from Mr. Whistler in 1899 and paid for in 1902 (see Curatorial Remarks in the object record).
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
James McNeill Whistler (C.L. Freer source) 1834-1903
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919) acquired more than twenty of Whistler's late nudes in pastel or watercolor, as well as impressions of almost all related etchings and lithographs. Whistler completed only six or seven late nudes in oil, including three at the Freer. See also Harmony in Blue and Gold: The Little Blue Girl (F1903.89) and Purple and Gold: Phryne the Superb!--Builder of Temples (F1902.115).
- Published References
- Beauty's Awakening: Drawings by the Pre-Raphaelites and Their Contemporaries. Canada. .
- Denys Sutton. James McNeill Whistler: Paintings, Etchings, Pastels & Watercolours. London, 1966. pl. 116.
- Andrew McLaren Young, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer. The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler. Studies in British Art 2 vols. New Haven, 1980. vol. 2: pl. 319.
- James McNeill Whistler in Context: Essays from the Whistler Centenary Symposium, University of Glasgow, 2003. vol. 2, 1st ed. Washington, 2008. p. 16, fig. 2.3.
- With Kindest Regards: The Correspondence of Charles Lang Freer and James McNeill Whistler 1890-1903. Washington. p. 59, pl. 11.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 154, pl. 63.
- Bernhard Sickert. Whistler. London and New York. cat. 117, p. 167.
- Elisabeth Luther Cary. The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study., 1st ed. New York, 1907. cat. 76, p. 168.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."