Goupil et Cie, London 1899 
From 1899 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Goupil et Cie, London in 1899 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 Undated folder sheet note, Object file. Also see Original Whistler List, Paintings, pg. 17, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Goupil et Cie (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
A nearly abstract view of the rough sea, signed with the butterfly at lower left.
Verso: 'Blue & Silver' / The Chopping Channel' / Butterfly signature
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours : A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, 1995. .
- Christopher Finch. Twentieth-Century Watercolors. New York. pp. 13-14, fig. 9.
- Donald Holden. Whistler Landscapes and Seascapes. New York. p. 81, pl. 30.
- Elisabeth Luther Cary. The Works of James McNeill Whistler: A Study., First edition. New York, 1907. No. 96, p. 172.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 204, pl. 135.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum