Prince of Kaga Collection, Kanazawa, Japan 
Yamanaka & Company, New York to 1897 
From 1897 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Yamanaka & Company in 1897 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 This is one of ten tea bowls (F1897.81 - F1897.90) acquired as a group from the former collection of the "Prince of Kaga." presumably the last head of the Maeda house, the daimyo family that had served as feudal lords of Kaga Province (now part of Ishikawa prefecture, centering around the castle town of Kanazawa) since the beginning of the 17th century (see Curatorial Remark 10, Louise Cort, September 1982, in the object record).
 See Original Pottery List, L. 691, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 2.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Maeda daimyo of Kaga
Yamanaka and Co. (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
This tea bowl was made at a Japanese kiln following conventions of Korean tea bowls, including five spurs marks in the bottom, but the exact place of its production has not yet been determined. One possibility is the Rakuzan kiln, which operated on a small scale in the castle town of Matsue and specialized in tea wares.
- Published References
- Impressions: The Journal of the Japanese Art Society of America. no. 39 Lexington, MA, 2018. p. 143, fig. 14.
- Collection Area(s)
- Japanese Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage conditions apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."