From 1897 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from the artist in 1897 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Paintings, pg. 1, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. According to Curatorial Remark 5, Kenneth Myers, February 17, 2005, in the object record; "the fact that the F1897.21 is in an Goupil style frame which carries a Goupil gallery label suggests that if the painting was not included in the 1892 exhibition [a March 1892 Whistler retrospective at Boussod, Valadon & Cie, Goupil Gallery, 116-17 New Bond Street, London], it was consigned to the Goupil Gallery at some later time in the early or mid 1890s. Whistler sold the painting to Freer in July 1897. The Goupil Gallery label on the reverse of the frame reads: 'The Goupil Gallery/Boussod Valadon & Co./Publishers to her Majesty/Dealers in Pictures, Engravings/Art Books &c/5 Regents Street, Pall Mall/London SW.'"
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
James McNeill Whistler (C.L. Freer source) 1834-1903
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
- Published References
- Jacques Dufwa. Winds from the East: A Study in the Art of Manet, Degas, Monet and Whistler, 1856-86. Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey and Stockholm. fig. 157.
- Andrew McLaren Young, Margaret F. MacDonald, Robin Spencer. The Paintings of James McNeill Whistler. Studies in British Art 2 vols. New Haven, 1980. vol. 2: pl. 95.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. pp. 13, 124, pl. 27.
- With Kindest Regards: The Correspondence of Charles Lang Freer and James McNeill Whistler 1890-1903. Washington. p. 58, pl. 10.
- Katharine Lochnan. Turner Whistler Monet. London. p. 144, fig. 52.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."