Frederick Keppel and Co., London, England, and New York to 1896 
From 1896 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from Frederick Keppel and Co. in 1896 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Plates, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This object is part of a group (consisting of a set of sixteen plates, as well as one impression of each plate) that was purchased from Frederick Keppel and Co. in January 1896.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
Frederick Keppel and Co. (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Whistler etchings are identified by "G" numbers as assigned in "James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonne," by Margaret F. McDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock (University of Glasgow, 2012), http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk. This print is G102, state not provided.
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, Joanna Meacock. James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonée., 2012. .
- Howard Mansfield. A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler. Chicago, 1909. .
- Katharine Lochnan. The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler. Exh. cat. New Haven and London, 1984. .
- Edward G. Kennedy. The Etched Work of Whistler: Illustrated by Reproductions in Collotype of the Different States of the Plates. 4 vols., New York, 1910. .
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum