M. Knoedler & Co., New York to 1893 
From 1893 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from M. Knoedler & Co., New York, in March of 1893 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See List of Whistler Objects transferred to Smithsonian Institution, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. This print is part of a set that was purchased from Knoedler and Co. in March of 1893. The set was kept in the Reserve Section until January of 1921, when it was transferred to the Smithsonian Institution and each print given a registration number for that year (see Curatorial Remark 1, G. D. Guest, 1921, in the object package). See also, Accession List, Collections Management Office.
 See note 1.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s)
M. Knoedler & Co. (C.L. Freer source)
Charles Lang Freer 1854 - 1919
Whistler etchings are identified by "G" numbers as assigned in "James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonne," by Margaret F. McDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock (University of Glasgow, 2012), http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk. This print is G159, state not provided.
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, Joanna Meacock. James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonée., 2012. .
- Howard Mansfield. A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler. Chicago, 1909. .
- Katharine Lochnan. The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler. Exh. cat. New Haven and London, 1984. .
- Edward G. Kennedy. The Etched Work of Whistler: Illustrated by Reproductions in Collotype of the Different States of the Plates. 4 vols., New York, 1910. .
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- Rights Statement
Copyright with museum