From 1890 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from the artist in 1890 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 See Original Whistler List, Paintings, pg. 23, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives. See also, Curatorial Remark 4, David Park Curry, 1984, in the object record.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
James McNeill Whistler (C.L. Freer source) 1834-1903
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
Charles Lang Freer was one of the first collectors to recognize the importance and beauty of Whistler's late nudes. Freer first met Whistler in London, in March 1890. The two got on well, and Whistler sold Freer this drawing. It was the second Whistler drawing to enter Freer's collection, and the first pastel. During the 1890s, most of the Whistler drawings and oil paintings that Freer acquired were recent work, many of them female nudes.
- Published References
- Susan Hobbs. Thomas Wilmer Dewing: Beauty into Art: A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, CT, November 13, 2018. pg 657, fig. 3.
- Margaret F. MacDonald. James McNeill Whistler: Drawings, Pastels, and Watercolours : A Catalogue Raisonné. New Haven, 1995. .
- Thomas Lawton, Linda Merrill. Freer: a legacy of art. Washington and New York, 1993. p. 31, fig. 31.
- Albert Gallatin. Whistler: notes and footnotes and other memoranda. New York. p. 35.
- Albert Gallatin. Whistler's art dicta and other essays. Boston. p. 44.
- Nichols Clark. Charles Lang Freer: An American Aesthete in the Gilded Era. vol. 11, no. 4 New York, October 1979. vol. 11: no. 4, pp. 54-68, fig. 8.
- With Kindest Regards: The Correspondence of Charles Lang Freer and James McNeill Whistler 1890-1903. Washington. p. 54, pl. 6.
- Susan Hobbs. The Art of Thomas Wilmer Dewing: Beauty Reconfigured. Exh. cat. Washington, 1996. p. 199, fig. 82.
- David Park Curry. James McNeill Whistler at the Freer Gallery of Art. Washington and New York, 1984. p. 270, pl. 268.
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- SI Usage Statement
Usage Conditions Apply
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."