James Anderson Rose (1819-1890), London 
Sir William Drake (1817-1890), London 
H. Wunderlich & Co., New York to 1890 
From 1890 to 1919
Charles Lang Freer (1854-1919), purchased from H. Wunderlich & Co. in 1890 
Freer Gallery of Art, gift of Charles Lang Freer in 1920 
 "From collections of J. Anderson Rose and Sir William Drake" (see Curatorial Remark 2, Freer Folder Sheet notes 1 and 4, in the object record).
 See note 1.
 See Original Whistler List, Etchings, Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery Archives.
 See note 3.
 The original deed of Charles Lang Freer's gift was signed in 1906. The collection was received in 1920 upon the completion of the Freer Gallery.
- Previous Owner(s) and Custodian(s)
Sir William Drake 1817-1890
James Anderson Rose 1819-1890
Charles Lang Freer 1854-1919
H. Wunderlich & Co. (C.L. Freer source) 1874-1912
In Whistler's day, genteel people who could afford to purchase etchings generally avoided unnecessary trips to working-class sections of cities. For such people, Whistler's etchings of the Thames riverfront provided unusually intimate glimpses of what a contemporary critic described as "that class of hard-fisted, square-shouldered, solid-faced men, on whom the odour of tar and tobacco is equally important."
Quotation from the Reader, April 4, 1863, in Whistler press-cutting book 1:37, Birnie Philip Collection, Glasgow University Library.
Whistler etchings are identified by "K" numbers as assigned in Edward Kennedy's catalogue, The Etched Work of Whistler, (New York: Grolier Club, 1910; and subsequent editions). This print is K45; first and only state.
Whistler etchings are identified by "G" numbers as assigned in "James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonné," by Margaret F. McDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, and Joanna Meacock (University of Glasgow, 2012), http://etchings.arts.gla.ac.uk. This print is G52 state 3 of 4.
- Published References
- Margaret F. MacDonald, Grischka Petri, Meg Hausberg, Joanna Meacock. James McNeill Whistler: The Etchings, a catalogue raisonée., 2012. .
- Howard Mansfield. A Descriptive Catalogue of the Etchings and Dry-points of James Abbott McNeill Whistler. Chicago, 1909. .
- Katharine Lochnan. The Etchings of James McNeill Whistler. Exh. cat. New Haven and London, 1984. .
- Edward G. Kennedy. The Etched Work of Whistler: Illustrated by Reproductions in Collotype of the Different States of the Plates. 4 vols., New York, 1910. .
- Collection Area(s)
- American Art
- Web Resources
- Google Cultural Institute
- CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
CC0 - Creative Commons (CC0 1.0)
Usage Conditions Apply
Chrome users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."
Internet Explorer users: right click on icon, select "save target as..."
Mozilla Firefox users: right click on icon, select "save link as..."