Asia After Dark: Peacockalypse
Hosted by the Silk Road Society
With music by BETTY
Saturday, June 13, 8 pm–12 am
Freer and Sackler Galleries
Don your finest feathers for Asia After Dark: PEACOCKalypse, the beloved after-hours party that this year is an official event of Capital Pride and the 40th Celebration of Pride in the Nation’s Capital. Flash back to the gilded glamour of the Peacock Room and meet its alter ego Filthy Lucre, an installation by New York City-based gay artist Darren Waterston that reimagines Whistler’s famous work as a resplendent ruin. Feathers will fly as we celebrate the peacock as an artistic muse and explore the tumultuous relationship between art and money, all while following the Asia After Dark mantra: “Art, Drink, and Be Happy.”
Shake a tail feather in the Freer courtyard, which once housed live peacocks. At 9 pm, rock out to award-winning activist band BETTY, which created the Filthy Lucre soundscape and contributed music to popular shows such as The L Word, Weeds, and Ugly Betty. The courtyard will buzz with danceable hits by DJ EvanEssence for the rest of the evening.
And there’s more:
- Take an interactive, avant-garde tour through the museums and learn the drama behind Peacock Room REMIX.
- Strut through the galleries sporting handmade peacock accessories, face-painted feathers, and gold temporary “flash” tattoos designed by Darren Waterston.
- Mingle while learning Tari Merak, or the Peacock Dance, a traditional folk dance popular in Asia.
- Star in a personalized flipbook and take home a copy courtesy of SnapFiesta.
- Win Filthy Lucre catalogs and other prizes in the Game of Art and Money, a game-show style cash cube.
- Sip specialty cocktails by the mixologists at Ping Pong Dim Sum, available for purchase.
Want to experience it all for free? Join the Silk Road Society, our dynamic membership group for young professionals. You'll be invited to tours, cocktail receptions, and behind-the-scenes events.