Maunder's

The Fish-shop, Busy Chelsea
James McNeill Whistler (1834–1903)
ca. 1884–86
Etching on paper; second state
Gift of Charles Lang Freer
F1903.41

Located at 72 Cheyne Walk, Maunder’s Fish Shop was a popular destination for fish and chips, which were sold under the awning of the store. The building that housed Maunder’s was originally constructed in the seventeenth century, but was demolished in 1892 to make way for an expensive new structure. A decade later, Whistler moved into the new building and lived there until his death in 1903.

To view other locations, visit the map.